Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Save the Yama for your mama...

So, another really great thing we learned about last week were the Yama's (character building restraints) and the miyamas (character building observances). The Yama's are the first limb of the 8 limbs of yoga, and include things like, ahimsa-loving kindness, and aparigraha- non-attachment, satya -truth, bramyacharya -energy management, and asteya- non stealing. The miyamas are part of the second limb of yoga and include things like saucha- purity, santosha-contentment, tapas-self discipline, swadyhyaya- self study and Ishvar-pranidahna - surrender to the universe. Anyway we each had to pick one that resonated with us. I figured I should choose Bramacharya because I have been in some fear during my adjustment and have been tempted to revert back to some old patterns, but I told myself I should tackle something smaller (because let's face it I really just wanted to give myself an excuse to indulge in old behavior). So I decided to choose asteya (non stealing)- and by the way we had to stand up in front of the whole group and say what our Yama or miyama was and apparently I am the only thief up in this piece because I stood alone. Any way I chose that because I reasoned that a better way to counteract my temptations would be with a step forward instead of a negation,and I felt that I was stealing from myself by not participating fully - our group is 63 people and I am a little intimidated about speaking in front of everyone, if you can believe it. Anyway so I chose asteya, indulged in my bad habit a little, and it occurred to me that it was not only a matter of brammacharya,energy management, since I have a real tendency to get strung out on human beings, but also asteya, since I was robbing myself of this experience by giving any energy at all to that. But of course I really kicked my own ass about it all and so changed to Ishvar-Pranidhana the next day, and I just gave it all to god girl. So namaste, and I am trying not to think about the fact I can't watch the world series. My dosha is not happy about that, but hopefully I'll be enlightened soon (they said I should be like week 3ish) so no worries, but I would not be opposed to someone tevo'ing it for me.
Sweet dreams and much peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment